Thursday, February 20, 2020

Is An Alabama Garbage Man America's Next Big Thing In Pop Music?

Inexperienced singer Doug Kiker impressed the judges on the episode
"American Idol" that aired last week. Let's hope this
underdog does well! 
As anyone who looks at this here blog thingy knows, I'm a sucker for those talent "reality" shows in which stars are allegedly made.

I just like those surprises when people really just surprise everyone.

I got hopelessly hooked way back in 2009 at the iconic moment when Susan Boyle, an awkward appearing middle aged woman, blew everybody away with her version of "I Dreamed A Dream" from Les Miserables

I don't watch "American Idol" as much as other shows of this genre, like "The Voice" and "America's Got Talent."  But one moment in the season premier of this year's "American Idol" got my attention, and that of a lot of other people. I guess I'm attracted to these "come from nowhere" stories.

Doug Kiker of Grand Bay, Alabama is a garbage man.  Apparently, he likes to sing on the back of the truck as he's working.

"I loved music all my life, but all I could ever do was just listen to the radio. I grew up, we had little to no means, you know," he told television station WEAR in Pensacola, Florida.

He auditioned last year for "American Idol" and by his telling, he failed miserably. “I couldn't even figure out what I was gonna do, I kept trying to remember the words to the song I was gonna sing, and when it came out, it came out horribly,” he explained.

But he wanted to teach his daughter, age 2, to not give up, so he tried again. "I'm trying to show her if you put your mind to it, there's nothing you can't do."

His efforts aired on "American Idol" Sunday evening. 

So there he was, echoes of Susan Boyle. In this case, Kiker appeared on TV, a little overweight, a few teeth missing, wearing a cheap baseball cap on backwards. Star struck at judges Lionel Ritchie, Katy Perry and Luke Bryan, mumbled something about the three judges being beautiful. 

Kiker confessed to having no performing experience, though Bryan was impressed with the calluses on Kiker's hands.

Ritchie was horrified, in a friendly way, that Kiker didn't even know to warm up his voice before performing for the judges. So American Idol host Ryan Seacrest, he of the perfect hair and perfect teeth, led him out to show him how to warm up. 

Fifteen minutes later, Kiker was in front of the judges again.  This time, he sang briefly. It was good.  Perry was unconvinced just yet.  "Show us your range," she said. 

"I don't know what that is," Kiker said. 

So, Bryan ran over to the piano to help.  Trouble is, Bryan tried to set Kiker up with the proper key to a song.  Kiker didn't know what that was, either. 

Which made the ever-helpful Bryan start singing a line in different ranges and getting Kiker to try to do the same.  Let's just say Kiker might not have had any training as a singer, but he's apparently a quick learner. 

Bryan said, "There's so much in there," and the other two judges seemed impressed.  Ritchie told Kiker he's a hell of a man, and I can't argue that.  Perry was in tears as they passed him on to Hollywood, the next stage of the competition 

"You just stay who you are and you're going to go so far," Perry told him.

Of course, it's too soon to know what will happen to Kiker.  He's in for a wild ride. Will be continue to learn and grow?  Will the pressure crush him or energize him?  I guess we'll have to find out.

These rags to riches stories are always more complicated than the reality shows make them out to be. But like almost all viewers, I wish him the best of luck.  

Meanwhile, The Voice in the United States has its season premier next week.  Like I said, I'm a sucker for this kind of thing. I'll be watching. 

Here's the video:

No comments:

Post a Comment