|Attotrney Steven Guitierrez'a pants caught on|
fire when he was litigating a Florida
And we've all heard the chant directed at the dishonest: "Liar, liar, pants on fire!"
Well, in Florida, (where else would something like this occur?) while a defense attorney was litigating an arson case of all things, his pants caught on fire.
According to the Miami Herald:
"Stephen Gutierrez, who was arguing that his client's car spontaneously combusted and was not intentionally set on fire, had been fiddling in his pocket as he was about to address jurors when smoke began billowing out his right pocket."
As you might expect, Gutierrez rushed out of the courtroom. Jurors were ushered out out, and soon, Gutierrez returned, without injury but definitely with singed pants. '
This was not an elaborate defense demonstration, the Miami Herald said. It was a faulty battery in an e-cigarette in Gutierrez's pocket.
The Miami Herald tried to contact Gutierrez, but he didn't return the calls.
Whatever happened, it didn't help Gutierrez'a client, Claudy Charles. He was convicted of second degree arson.
Gutierrez could be held in contempt of court because of the incident, the Miami Herald says, but this isn't the first time e-cigarettes have caused trouble.
As I noted back in November, e-cigarette batteries do seem to have a nasty habit of exploding and/or catching fire, which isn't a good thing for e-cigarette enthusiasts.
I guess that's one habit I won't take up, then.