We rarely hear of household pets starting fires. Today we have one. An unusual one. According to the Gothamist, Giovanni the Tortoise burned down his family's Bay Ridge, Queens apartment.
Luckily, nobody was home, so the occupants were not hurt. A few police officers and firefighters had minor injuries.
|Could this tortoise be an arsonist?|
Still, a tortoise? According to fire investigators, Giovanni tried to make a break for freedom out of the house while the humans were away. Tortoises being tortoises, he didn't get very far. But he did knock over the heat lamp that kept him warm. It landed on flammable material and the place went up in flames.
Firefighters rescued Giovanni, who was found by firefighters on the kitchen floor.
So let this be a warning to you. Tortoises can be evil. If you get one, make sure your insurance policy is up to date and your smoke alarms are working.
Maybe we should just get Smokey Bear to stop on all those pyromaniac tortoises out there.