Thursday, June 21, 2012

Two Awesome Thunderstorm Views

Last evening, in the midst of our first big heat wave of the summer, an isolated, but pretty intense thunderstorm hit my house in St. Albans, Vermont.

In this photo taken by the Mount Washington Observatory
an isolated thunderstorm is seen at sunset over northwestern Vermont

The storm did nothing to erase the humidity, but I appreciated the rain. It was getting dry, and watering the gardens has been getting tedious. This gives me a lucky break. Luckier than most of Vermont, because I live in one of the few towns that got any rain.

The storm was visually beautiful and I went outside afterward as the setting sun lit up the storm.  I took a few photos of it.

Unbeknownst to me, at the Mount Washington Observatory at the top of New England's highest peak in New Hampshire, somebody was photographing the same storm to the distant northwest at the same time I was shooting the storm clouds in St. Albans.

The first photo in this post is what the folks at Mount Washington saw at sunset. The second photo is what I saw at sunset. Two very different perspectives on the storm, but two examples of how beautiful a thunderstorm can be.

The same storm the Mt. Washington
Observatory saw taken just southeast
of my house after it passed over just
before sunset. 

No comments:

Post a Comment