Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Rare Treat: A Christmas Song Done Well, And With Innovation. Must See!

As part of my bah-humbug attitude toward Christmas, I must say I hate most Christmas carols and songs.
The Piano Guys performing "Angels We
Have Heard On High"  

They tend to be horribly sappy, way too sentimental, and/or just extremely, annoyingly stupid. "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer," anyone?

There's a few good ones, of course. Darlene Love's "Christmas Baby (Please Come Home)" comes to mind, for instance.

I wonder if I can consider Elton John's wonderful but dark song "Levon,"  which is one of his best, a holiday song because it includes the lyrics "He was born on a Christmas day/When the New York Times said God is dead/And the war's begun."

Probably doesn't qualify as a cheerful Christmas tune, huh? But I'll enjoy it anyway.

I did find another Christmas song and video that is definitely worth enjoying. These four men called "The Piano Guys" perform "Angels We Have Heard On High" using just one piano in often totally interesting, cool ways. And the music they produce sounds wonderful.

It looks like they do other songs, too, like that music from the Charlie Brown Christmas show

But you really gotta see the video for the Piano Guys "Angels We Have Heard On High."

 Here it is:


No comments:

Post a Comment