Saturday, December 24, 2011

My Annual Darlene Love Christmas Tradition

Every year on this blog, I offer this Christmas tradition: Darlene Love singing "Christmas, Baby Please Come Home."

She performs this song on the last episode of "Late Show With David Letterman" before Christmas.
Darlene Love

I hate most Christmas songs. They're sticky sweet and so sentimental and gooey the feel like a massive and fatal molassas spill.

This song is different because it has a bit of emotional complexity, which is always welcome this time of year. There's some heartache, but listening to the song just feels emotionally uplifting.

But hell, Darlene Love could sing the text of an instruction book for a failing nuclear power plant and it would still feel damn terrific. She's that good.

She performed in Burlington, Vermont a couple weeks ago. I wanted to go to the show, but I had no money for tickets and I was sick with salmonella poisoning from eating bad hamburger  Maybe it's traditional to eat bad meat at Chrismastime? In any event I quickly recovered. But the night she was in town, I wasn't exactly in a Christmas with Darlene Love mood.

But now I am fully recovered. I hope she comes back to town. Meanwhile, enjoy the incredible Darlene Love, and please have an absolutely awesome Christmas:

No comments:

Post a Comment