Friday, January 13, 2012

A Shot of Winter in an Otherwise Warm Vermont

I suppose it was inevitable that winter would hit Vermont at some point. It always does.

I have to admit I've a bit ambivalent about what has been a pretty warm, snowless winter. On one hand, it's nice to be able to go outside without first spending three hours putting layers and layers of clothes on to the point you look like the Michelin Man.
Friday afternoon's lovely weather in St. Albans, Vermont.



And it's nice to not feel your nose freeze, turn black and fall off after about five minutes outside.

On the other hand, my snowshoes continue to gather dust in the basement, and the thin snowcover doesn't exactly say, "New England."

This afternoon, a pretty impressive cold front finally blew through, creating the blowing snow and icy roads that are a centerpiece of Vermont's winter charm.

It's supposed to go down to 12 below tomorrow night. Really. It needn't get that cold. Like I can afford $27,349,345,890,897,123 per second to heat my house.

But, I choose to live in Vermont, so I can't whine too much. Spring will get here eventually, and at least this winter, we haven't frozen to death yet.

Below is a sample of my joyous commute home today.

No comments:

Post a Comment