Monday, August 13, 2012

Steal My Money, Here's My Account Number

I admit I'm not the best about protecting my account information, passwords, secret codes, etc. I imagine I'll get hacked eventually.

But one thing I've never done is taken nice, crystal clear  pictures of my debit and credit cards and post them on line so everybody can read my account numbers and go on a nice shopping spree on my behalf.
This is a fake credit card, obviously,
but many people put pics of real
credit cards on line

I'm not crowing about how smart I am. You'd think everybody would know not to do that. But, not everybody knows, as it turns out.

There's a whole site consisting of a collection of Twitter feeds in which people, psyched about their new debit cards or trying to highlight a snafu, post pictures of their debit and credit cards to Twitter.

Because nobody ever read anything on, or has even heard of Twitter, right?

Who knows, there may be sites out there on the Internet that tell burglars how to find the valuables in your house. And tell you where the secret key is to get into the house. Maybe people post their entire identtities on line, right down to their Social Security numbers, just for the joy of being ripped off and/or having their identities stolen.

Maybe these people are natural pessimists. "I'm going to get ripped off anyway, so I might as well make it easy for everybody and just get it over with.

What happens if people make it easy for crooks and the crooks get arrested anyway? I can just hear the victims who let the world know how to steal from them:   "Oh, let the poor guy go, he just took all my money, ruined my credit and my entire life, assaulted me and tried to kill me. It's really no big deal. I'm sure he didn't do it on purpose."

They say criminals are stupid. So, apparently, are some victims.





No comments:

Post a Comment