Saturday, February 20, 2016

Apparently, Turkeys REALLY Hate Letter Carriers

Apparently, wild turkeys DO NOT like letter carriers,
as an incident this past week in New Jersey proved. 
In New Jersey this week, a letter carrier was held hostage in his U.S. Postal Service vehicle but was eventually rescued.

Police quickly responded and resolved the hostage drama, with no injuries to the letter carrier.

The suspects in the crime were not thugs out to steal mail, checks or the letter carrier's wallet. They were wild turkeys, CBS 2 New York reported. The letter carrier's dspatcher called the cops.

The police responded the the letter carrier's position: They blasted the police sirens, which scattered the turkeys. The letter carrier was still nervous afterward.

"He was concerned that once we left they were going to go back after him," police told CBS 2. "I don't know if he's had a run-in with these turkeys before."

I wouldn't be surprised if he did. YouTube is rife with videos of turkeys attacking letter carriers. I get turkeys don't like the mail geting through.

The New York Times reports that wild turkeys were re-introduced in New Jersey in the `1970s and now there's someting like 25,000 of them. Sometimes they do end up attacking people, which is a bit scary.  New Jersey passed a law banning people from feeding them, as they don't want the turkeys in residential neighborhoods.

All this makes me nervous. Sometimes, flocks of wild turkeys visit my yard in northwestern Vermont. So far, they've been quite peaceful, and take off if I approach them. They're certainly more scare of me than I am of them.

I guess I just better not wear clothes that look like those of a letter carrier and dammit, I sure won't hold envelopes in my hands outside if I see turkeys in my yard.




No comments:

Post a Comment