Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Funny and Tragic: She Robbed Bank, Talks it Up on YouTube

There's a young gal in Nebraska who police say has been busy lately. She robbed a bank and stole a car.

The police investigation was easy. The woman, Hannah Sabata, 19, went on YouTube and discussed her bank robbery and car theft, according to Omaha.com
Hannah Sabata displaying money from her bank robbery
in her YouTube video

The video has her holding up signs describing her bank robbery and theivery.

She even chose her wardrobe carefully. She wore the same outfit in the YouTube video as she did during the bank robbery.

So the cops arrested her pretty quickly, , given it was all laid out for them on YouTube and all.  At first glance the whole thing points to extreme stupidity. That's probably involved. But while all the Web sites and blogs (including this one, to be honest) are picking on Sabata, there seems to be a lot of sadness behind the odd humor of this story.

If you watch the whole video, it's plain that the girl is messed up, and has  given up on pretty much anything. It looks more like a break with reality than anything else.

It's not like I want to give Sabata a free pass. You do the crime, you do the time. But the girl does need help.

 In the video, Sabata explains, in captions superimposed on the blurry images about her reaction to her own bank robbery. "I told my mom today was the best day of my life. She just thinks I met a new boy," it reads, while she displays some of the more than $6,000 she is said to have stolen from the bank.

The picture on Omaha.com of Sabata being taken into custody makes it appear as if she's having a grand old time with this whole experience.

On her deviantArt page, we learn this about her, from what she wrote a year or so ago:

HELLO! My name is Hannah Sabata, and at the time I am 18 years old.

I live in Hicktown Nebraska in a small, sinking home surrounded by many trees and broken-down cars.
I was born 12-08-1992
My social security number is 504-31-5555   
Hahaha just kidding.

Interesting facts:

I can stretch both legs behind my head at the same time
I can do the splits
I can stand on my head
I have HIV
I'm married
I'm pregnant
I've been to jail
I've been to Boys Town
I've been homeless
I have ran away
My hair has been every color (Yes. I promise you.)
I've saved my grandmother
I'm often mistaken as Asian :0
But I do have 11 different nationalities!
I get straight A's in school

Apparently, she had the kid, and things didn't go well, if you take what she says in her YouTube video. She says:

 "The whole system is just a game. But more specifically, because the goverment stole my baby and they took him away before I could even gake him home and they charged me with neglect. I may not be a mother anymore, but I can still find purpose."

So there's a huge, sad backstory going on here. The whole bank robbery/YouTube thing is an obvious cry for help, but she also probably thinks at some level she's beyond help.
Yes, I suppose we can laugh at how easy it was to catch Sabata. All the cops had to do was watch YouTube. But even though we don't really know her, we still want her to somehow get back on track.

For what it's worth, here's her YouTube video:


No comments:

Post a Comment