Monday, December 10, 2012

Maybe Dogs Can Drive Better Than Humans

This morning I had to leave early for work. There was a bit of sleet and snow mixed with the rain. The roads weren't that bad at all. It's just that since other people completely lose it behind the wheel when the weather is the least bit inclement, I had to get an early start to fend these morons off.
The image is blurry, but it's clear I'd trust
this guy behind the wheel more than I trust
a lot of the morons I see driving on the highways.

I think what these people need are dog chauffers. We can put pooches to work driving people around who are too stupid, too panicky to get behind the wheel at the first sign of a snowflake.

Note that I'm not ranting about people who are new to these parts (Vermont) and inexperienced with driving in the snow and ice. I'm patient, most of them will improve, and most of them are at least being careful and cautious. It's the morons who should know better I hate.

Anyway, this dog idea might not be as farfetched as it sounds. The SPCA is New Zealand is teaching dogs how to drive.

Of course, none of these dogs are road ready. It's too soon to trust them on the Long Island Expressway at rush hour. But there is hope. The dogs, after quite a bit of training, have mastered the basics of putting a vehicle in gear, hitting the accelerator, brake etc.

At this rate, I could get an extra little car, and my boys Jackson and Bailey can drive themselves to doggy day care instead of Jeff or I schlepping over there.

Here's a great video of the dogs learning to drive, and tbe people making it possible:


No comments:

Post a Comment