Saturday, April 6, 2013

How the B-52s Use Insanity to Maintain My Sanity (And Other People's Sanity)

I'm in Rutland, Vermont this weekend, visiting family.

Last evening, my sister Lynn, my brother in law David and I were introducing my husband, Jeff to the world of the B-52s. Jeff is familiar with the band, of course, but didn't fully grasp until last night how much Lynn, David and I embrace, love, live the B-52s.
The wonderful B-52s

The beehive hairdos! The deliberately off key, deadpan deliver of the vocals! The absolutely party out of control insanity in their lyrics

Those lyrics. We especially love those insane lines from their songs. Especially from some of their early hits. Like from "Planet Claire:"

"She came from Planet Claire
I knew she came from there.
She drove a Plymouth Satellite
Faster than the speed of ight
Planet Claire has pink air
All the trees are red
No one ever dies there
No one has a head."

Jeff pointed out, as we tortured him with one B-52s song after another,  that the music in B-52s songs is much like that of bad 1960s B-movies.  Jeff nailed it exactly. That's part of the appeal of the B-52s.

Jeff joked that had he known I was this into the B-52s, he'd never have married me. "What did I get myself into,?" he asked.

As I said, Jeff was just kidding. He knows that I get my kicks out of goofy things, sounds, music, people, things. And he realizes in some weird way that all this is healthy.

If everyone introduced more irreverance to their lives, more silliness, more very bizarre but very fun party music, a goofy party side to their lives, the world would be much better.

Maybe if North Korea's "Dear" Leader, Kim Jun Un listened to the B-52s "Rock Lobster," he wouldn't be threatening war so much. If Congress had an each-morning ritual of dancing to "Love Shack" they'd more readily solve our budgetary problems.

 If the pro and anti-gun lobbied would only listen to "Quiche Lorraine" that insanely wonderful B-52s song about a dog dyed dark green wearing designer jeans with appliques on them, they wouldn't argue so much.

And let's hope the drug cartels just go live in their own Private Idaho and live underground like a wild potato.

For your enjoyment, I give you some insanity to maintain your sanity: The video to "Rock Lobster"

Here comes a bikini whale!!!! AAAYYEEEE!!!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment