Monday, February 18, 2013

1980s Music Videos As Awesome Art?

I recently heard a long forgotten song from the 1980s called "Don't Answer Me" by the Alan Parsons Project.

A still from the "Don't Answer Me" music video
"Don't Answer Me"  is a pretty good song, but the instant  it began playing on the truck radio, I remembered the music video for it. It's a 1940s-style arty, campy cartoon of a Dick Tracy type guy who loses his girl, named Sugar of course, to a big ugly galoot.

We follow the progress of the song to find out if Dick Tracy gets the girl back.

The art in the comic is great, in my opinion. That got me thinking about many of those music videos from the 1980s that played on MTV all the time, back when MTV played music videos.

Most popular musicians still make videos, of course, and many are quite good. But the 1980s, when the music video concept was new, seemed to be the heydey of the music video art form.

I know music videos are really just pop culture, but I do regard them as a legitimate form of art, too.

I think that every once in awhile in this blog, I'll post an 80s music video, just for the nostalgia and to see if people agree with me that some of them are creative.

In that spirit, here's the music video for The Alan Parsons Project's "Don't Answer Me."



No comments:

Post a Comment