Saturday, February 23, 2013

More 80s Music Videos: Delightfully Bizarre "True Faith" by New Order

Continuing my occasion series of what I consider an art form, music videos from the 1980s, I give you this bit of weirdness.  "True Faith," a 1987 hit by New Order.  (They're still around, by the way)
A still from the video for "True Faith" by New Order
What I love about this video is the fact that I don't get it.

In this precious offering, we have two strange beings repeated slapping each other in the face to the beat of the music.

We have three colorful, inflated looking beings bouncing up and down and jumping for no reason. A woman in a greasy, metallic sort of encasing material wobbles dangerous as she gives what is presumably sign language for the song's lyrics.

Amid all this hysteria, we have a fairly gloomy song, with rather gloomy lyrics about how things were so much better when the singer was a  kid

"I used to think that the day would never come
I'd see delight in the shade of the morning sun
My morning sun is the drug that brings me near
To the childhood I lost, replaced by fear."


The video was directed by French choreographer and theater director Phillipe Decourfle.  


Truly a strange trip, this one but a good one:

No comments:

Post a Comment